January 10th, 2014
I have done quite a few painting sessions to get the painting to this point. I changed the shadow on the far hill from green to brown because the green was not working with the purple shades in the painting. I textured the trees and detailed the buffalo in the background. Added in the grass to go with their shadows. I put tramped grass on the left of the painting, then got pulled away from the painting. It has since made the container voyage over to Africa and is sitting in m studio begging to be finished. All it really needs is the tramped grass continued onto the right side, and some missing shadows under some background buffalo added in. That and the face of the subject buffalo looks a bit odd, but I can’t quite place why. Eye is a bit googly maybe.
April 13th, 2013
Working on the foreground ground, if that makes sense. It looks strange with the shadows of the grass clumps but no grass clumps.
April 9th, 2013
Covered up the original sketch of the foreground buffalo because it was annoying me. Worked in more detail on the background herd.
April 8th, 2013
Working on the mid-ground and starting to detail the subject buffalo.
April 7th, 2013
Continuing to block-in the background buffaloes and started work on the yearling in the front.
April 6th, 2013
Stared massing-in the buffaloes and scrub brush. I moved the subject buffalo to the left because he wasn’t balancing the composition properly. I also added grid lines so I could refer back to my sketch more easily.
March 3rd, 2013
Here I have transferred from various sketches the background buffaloes as well as the trees and shrubs.
September 1st, 2012
I stared this in college, working on it in my free time as I did not want it in my college portfolio, not because I didn’t like it, but because I did not want my professor’s opinion on what she thought was wrong with it ruining my inspiration.